Philadelphia, PA, USA
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Date: Aug 31, 2023
Location: Philadelphia, PA, US, 19104
Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
This internship provides the opportunity to work as part of the Industrial Engineering team to help identify, develop and implement business process improvements for Amtrak’s Engineering Department. This will be done by examining industry best practices, benchmarking results and reviewing work practices, policies, procedures, data, budgets, agreements, work standards and other relevant documentation.
This is an opportunity to be a part of a dynamic and growing team with an impact on Amtrak nationwide.
• Provide personal leadership in safety, reliability, and efficiency
• Assist in the development of knowledge-based methods of improvement in the execution of infrastructure maintenance and capital replacement
• Support the planning process for the construction, maintenance and repair of railroad infrastructure including Track, Structures, Communications and Signaling, Electric Traction and related facilities
• Support projects to improve infrastructure reliability and determine the best use of personnel for safe, cost-efficient operations and maximum productivity
• Assist in the evaluation of internal processes and controls and recommend enhancements to data retrieval, documentation and process flow
• Assist in the development of business cases to ensure that major financial improvements and business process changes are supported with sound financial analysis to improve maintenance procedures and reduce whole-life cost of our assets
• Provide analytical support for process-improvement projects including time studies, process documentation, process implementation and statistical data analysis
• Assist in the development and adoption of the Maximo Asset Management system in support of data-driven decision making from field personnel to company leadership
• Proven leadership experience
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Willingness to work in both office and field locations to obtain technical and operational experience
• Demonstrated interest or competency in public transportation or the rail industry
• Previous industry experience (internships, co-ops, professional)
• Ability to successfully prioritize and plan projects
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
The hourly range is $19.50 per hour – $22.10 per hour. Pay is based on factors including school year, program of study, etc. In addition, paid internships include Amtrak rail pass privileges as a part of the experience along with one (1) PTO day per academic year.
Please be advised that the Fall 2023 Co-Op program will run from September 18th - April 26th (full academic year)
You power our progress through your performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job. We want your career at Amtrak to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging work, rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, and attractive compensation. Amtrak maintains a culture that values high performance and recognizes individual employee contributions.
Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol. All Amtrak positions requires a pre-employment background check that includes prior employment verification, a criminal history check and a pre-employment drug screen.
Candidates who test positive for marijuana will be disqualified, regardless of any state or local statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Amtrak's pre-employment drug testing program is administered in accordance with DOT regulations and applicable law.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
In accordance with federal law governing security checks of covered individuals for providers of public transportation (Title 6 U.S.C. §1143), Amtrak is required to screen applicants for any permanent or interim disqualifying criminal offenses.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.